John Forstrom is a commercial litigation lawyer with over 30 years’ experience advising and representing a wide variety of clients, including individuals, small businesses, public and private corporations and their directors, financial institutions, industry associations and regulatory bodies. He has represented his clients in proceedings before all levels of court in British Columbia, as well as in mediations, arbitrations, and before the BC Securities Commission and other administrative tribunals.
He has extensive experience advising his clients in relation to a broad range of legal issues and disputes, including: commercial disputes; corporate governance and shareholder disputes; contract and negligence claims; related insolvency or collections matters; real property disputes; estates and trusts litigation; wrongful dismissal matters; and, disciplinary proceedings before various professional or regulatory bodies.
One particular area of focus in his practice is the conduct of investment advisors, and the many types of civil, regulatory and employment issues which arise in the investment industry. He also has extensive experience dealing with litigation in the contract logging industry, and the system of mediation and arbitration established under the Forest Act.
Before joining Hakemi & Ridgedale, he practiced in a boutique litigation firm he founded in 1999. Before that, he was a partner of a larger firm in Vancouver.
- Cambridge University (Trinity Hall) – LL.M.
- University of Victoria – LL.B
- University of British Columbia – B.A. (English Lit.)
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Occasional CLE lecturer (Securities Litigation; Forestry Litigation)
- Volunteer Lecturer – Professional Legal Training Course (Civil Advocacy)
- Volunteer Legal Advisor (Access Pro Bono, public legal advice clinic)