Associate | Nerissa Yan represents both corporate and individual clients on a broad range of civil and commercial litigation matters, including contractual disputes, creditor-debtor’s remedies, consumer protections, real estate and strata disputes, fraud, defamation, and privacy breach. Nerissa also advises clients in both domestic and international commercial arbitrations, as well as on regulatory matters before administrative boards and tribunals.
Nerissa is a native Mandarin speaker born and raised in Shanghai, China. While fully bilingual in English and Mandarin Chinese, she also speaks conversational Japanese.
Prior to joining Hakemi & Ridgedale LLP, Nerissa articled at a national firm’s Ottawa Office. She is licenced to practice law in both Ontario and British Columbia.
- University of Ottawa, J.D.
- Simon Fraser University, B.A. (Communication)
- Canadian Bar Association (Ontario and BC Branches)
- Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
- Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
She has advised
- Both companies and individuals subject to asset freezing orders (Mareva injunction) to have the injunction set aside.
- A well-known Chinese community leader in a defamation action against a self-styled blogger
- Judgment creditors enforcing foreign judgments in British Columbia
- Judgment creditors to recover debts from judgment debtors who engaged in fraudulent conveyance to evade judgments
- An international retail brand to negotiate a settlement agreement over potential product liability claims
- Real estate agents facing regulatory and disciplinary investigation by the Real Estate Council of British Columbia
- A real estate brokerage firms and realtors to defend allegations over negligent and fraudulent misrepresentations
- Both purchasers and vendors in real estate transactions over contractual disputes
- A franchisor in dispute with the franchisee